Would-be underwear bomber revealed to be CIA INFORMANT who delivered device to U.S. officials and helped Yemen drone strike

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141573/Would-underwear-bomber-revealed-CIA-informant-delivered-device-U-S-officials-helped-Yemen-drone-strike.html

By Associated Press

PUBLISHED: 17:59 EST, 8 May 2012 | UPDATED: 17:59 EST, 8 May 2012

U.S. and Yemeni officials say the supposed would-be bomber at the heart of an al-Qaeda airliner plot was actually an informant working for the CIA.

New terror alert: The feds say Al-Qaeda planned to strike on the first anniversary of Osama bin Laden's deathNew terror alert: The feds say Al-Qaeda planned to strike on the first anniversary of Osama bin Laden’s death

The revelation, first reported by The Los Angeles Times, shows how the CIA was able to get its hands on a sophisticated underwear bomb well before an attack was set in motion.

Officials say the informant was working for the CIA and Saudi Arabian intelligence when he was given the bomb.

He then turned the device over to authorities.

Officials say the informant is safely out of Yemen.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive intelligence matter.

It was revealed yesterday that Fahd Mohammed Ahmed al-Quso, one of America’s Most Wanted terrorists, wanted to bring down a U.S.-bound jetliner with a new and improved ‘undetectable’ version of the underwear bomb that failed to detonate aboard a jetliner over Detroit on Christmas Day 2009.

The explosion was to be carried out, reports suggest, to mark the one year anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden.

The plot was to be similar than that of the original underwear bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, but with updated technology that was believed to be ‘undetectable’ by airport screening processes.

But the Yemen-based terrorist was killed by a missile fired by an unmanned CIA drone as he stepped out of a vehicle in a remote valley in the south of Yemen.

Two counter-terrorism officials told the New York Daily News they believed 37-year-old al-Quso, who had a $5million bounty on his head, was the key militant behind the plans.

Al-Quso was indicted in the U.S. for his role in the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in the harbour of Aden, Yemen, in which 17 American sailors were killed and 39 injured.

He was later believed to have replaced Anwar al-Awlaki as the Al Qaeda on the Arabian Peninsula’s head of external operations when the latter was killed in a U.S. airstrike last year.

Plotter? Senior Al Qaeda leader Fahd Al-Quso, killed on Sunday by a drone strike, was believed to be behind the updated underpants bomb plot

Plotter? Senior Al Qaeda leader Fahd Al-Quso, killed on Sunday by a drone strike, was believed to be behind the updated underpants bomb plot

Notified: The White House said President Obama was told about the terror plot back in April, despite his administration's claim over the last few weeks that there was no 'credible threat'Notified: The White House said President Obama was told about the terror plot back in April, despite his administration’s claim over the last few weeks that there was no ‘credible threat’

The FBI is now examining the latest bomb to see whether it could have passed through airport security and brought down an aeroplane.

The device did not contain metal, meaning it probably could have passed through an airport metal detector.

The first: Underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, is pictured in his 2009 mugshot after his failed Christmas Day bomb attemptThe first: Underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, is pictured in his 2009 mugshot after his failed Christmas Day bomb attempt

But it was not clear whether new body scanners used in many airports would have detected it.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, of California, who heads the Senate Intelligence Committee, said yesterday she had been briefed about an ‘undetectable’ device that was ‘going to be on a U.S.-bound airliner.’

There were no immediate plans to change security procedures at U.S. airports.

But there are reports, in the U.S. media, that last week the plot led the U.S. to order scores of air marshals to Europe to protect U.S.-bound aircraft.

Flights out of Gatwick Airport, in England, reportedly received 100 percent coverage, according to U.S. sources.

The would-be suicide bomber, based in Yemen and believed to be working for al-Quso, had not yet picked a target or bought his plane tickets when the CIA stepped in and seized the bomb, officials said.

New York Congressman Peter King, chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, said counter-terrorism officials had said of the wannabe bomber: ‘We don’t have to worry about him any more.’

White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said President Obama learned about the plot in April and was assured the device posed no threat to the public.

Advertisements

Posted on May 8, 2012, in Politics, US Politics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

What do you think? Share your thoughts below

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: